Monday, October 15, 2007

Success!

Well, in keeping with my tradition started last year, I successfully completed my Livestrong Challenge ride. And once again, I was a long way from the first one to finish, but I was not the last person either. In fact, I believe I had a few more people behind me this year when I crossed the line than last year.

Our morning started out with the buses leaving at 5:00 AM to take us to Dripping Springs High School in the Texas hill country, the start and finish for the ride. The ride kicked off a few minutes late at 7:45 AM. I crossed the finish line a little before 3:30 PM. The volunteers were great and there were about 9 rest stops along the way.

The Texas hill country lived up to its name and the rolling hills alone would have been challenging enough, but add in the rough chip and seal pavement and the Texas winds, and the last few miles were a real fight. I did have one minor hiccup along the way. At about mile 8, we had a low water crossing that actually had streaming water running across the roadway. I slowed to cross but everyone started yelling to walk. Attempting to walk (at least at that point) was probably my key mistake. My front wheel was already in the water when I unclipped my left foot. As soon as the metal of my bike cleat hit the concrete, it was as if I was trying to plant my foot on ice. I went down, but only sustained a minor scrape and a knot just below my calf muscle. Fortunately, I did not take anyone else with me. So, up I got, a little damp, and continued on.

At this moment, Jana and I are delayed in the Austin airport. We have to connect through Dallas Forth Worth on to Orange County and there are thunderstorms in the Dallas Fort Worth area delaying flights. We'll get home eventually, but it may take a trip or two to the airport to round up the luggage and the bike. See you all soon and as always, thanks for your support.

No comments: