Thursday, August 02, 2007

Ouch!

Today, I lost a faithful friend, one that has accompanied me on many rides. Early morning commutes, and heated afternoon rides were never too much to ask. My friend sacrificed his shell (and himself) this morning near the end of my commute. I was actually at the end of my ride and I was wheeling through our open factory area toward my office, when I had just cleared one obstacle (a fork truck) only to have my handlebars corralled by a metal cart.
As the law of inertia states, a body in motion tends to stay in motion unless acted upon by an outside force. My bike was acted upon by the metal cart. I was acted upon by the concrete floor! The good news is the helmet did exactly what it was designed to do. It absorbed the impact of my head hitting the concrete floor thus cracking the helmet. The bad news is that I had to go buy a new helmet tonight so that I could ride Saturday morning. So, here's to faithful old friends! Now where did I put that new helmet.....

No comments: